OCaml Forge

Detail: [#1322] Consider to open the issue tracking on github

Feature Requests: Browse | Download .csv | Monitor

[#1322] Consider to open the issue tracking on github

Date:
2013-09-25 09:18
Priority:
3
State:
Closed
Submitted by:
Jacques-Pascal Deplaix (jpdeplaix)
Assigned to:
Sylvain Le Gall (gildor-admin)
Resolution:
None
Due in version:
None
Product:
OASIS
Component:
Website
Operating System:
None
 
Summary:
Consider to open the issue tracking on github

Detailed description
I think it can speedup bugs reports and contributions.

Followup

Message
Date: 2013-09-25 23:07
Sender: Sylvain Le Gall

BTW, here is a proposal:
- wait a few months
- send a message to oasis-devel@lists.forge.ocamlcore.org about this topic, citing this bug and making a summary why you think we should and why I would prefer to stay in the current situation
- if a majority of people (applying my own rules on this topic) votes for moving or having all new bugs filled in the github, I'll do it.

I think you should find an agreement with other stakeholders of OASIS and it can convince me to do it. Most people don't read bug tracker and we should not use it to discuss.
Date: 2013-09-25 23:00
Sender: Sylvain Le Gall

I posted some bugs to ocsigen and I know that trac is a pain. I think this bug tracker is less a pain (which doesn't mean I think it is good).

To be honest the main point about no posting bugs to ocsigen's trac (as a user), was 90% "oh no yet another login/password to create", the other 10% was total confusion between bugs/wiki display, and off course the low SLA. (I have maintained a trac for a client and I know this pain).

The overall forge has more users and totally make sense to be subscribed to, to post bugs to other OCaml projects.

Another point: implementing G+/Facebook signin into the forge will probably take 80% of the pain away, allow me to remove SSL and will be a bigger overall benefit for all projects than to spend the same time on migrating my bugs or spending time coordinating bugs.

Anyway, if I have to choose I'll have 0 bugs DB, because if you count it, most of the bugs are submitted by me, because in real life, most of the bugs are in my gmail Inbox.

I may change my mind in a couple of months, but I don't want to change the bugs DB right now.
Date: 2013-09-25 20:48
Sender: Jacques-Pascal Deplaix

I can give you an example. So, I was in charge of the migration from darcs + trac + webdarcs to git + github of the ocsigen framework.

Before, there was no contributions, maybe 1 or 2 issues per months (I'm generous :D) mostly because it was a pain to post and handle something with trac.

After the migration, a lot of contributions and bug reports came.

Ok, here it's not a full migration like for ocsigen, but I think for someone who wants to report a bug, it's repulsive to have an external bug tracker. It requires to search for the bug tracker (hard to find), create yet another account, tame the interface (not easy), …

A non-determined user may at any point of this (real :D) journey, abandon to report the bug.
Date: 2013-09-25 14:31
Sender: Sylvain Le Gall

I see your point, but it means maintaining two bugs DB. I already not have time to empty one ;-)

Can you sum up what you think will be the pro and cons? (esp. how will it speedup contributions?)
Date: 2013-09-25 11:57
Sender: Jacques-Pascal Deplaix

Oh, my suggestion is not to « move » to the github bug tracker, but just (for the moment) open it and give the possibility to create issues. So transfer is not required.
Date: 2013-09-25 11:41
Sender: Sylvain Le Gall

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'll stick to this bug tracker. The work required to transfer all bugs to github is high and I don't think it is way better to compensate the investment.

I'll try to use the github BTS on other projects, but I see no point of doing the transfer for existing projects.

Attached Files:

Changes:

Field Old Value Date By
status_idOpen2013-09-25 11:41gildor-admin
close_dateNone2013-09-25 11:41gildor-admin
assigned_tonone2013-09-25 11:41gildor-admin
ComponentGeneral2013-09-25 11:41gildor-admin